Terms & Conditions
These terms and conditions clarify the basis of the agreement between you and Star Copywriting Limited. The client is represented in this agreement as You.
Your acceptance of the agreement is essential before any work can commence.
By contracting with Michelle Harris to write for you, you acknowledge that you have been offered the opportunity to read these terms and conditions and agree to be bound by this version. This contract takes precedent over any other terms or conditions and therefore must be signed before a project can start.
Guarantee from Star Copywriting Limited
The purpose of all projects and contracts is to provide an excellent calibre of copy for the fee agreed. However there can be misunderstandings or misinterpretations. If you are dissatisfied with copy that has been produced, please discuss with Michelle Harris who will do everything possible to resolve the problems.
In such circumstance, you agree to make no use of any written material or draft that has been written for you and not to make any claim for your loss of time or income.
Security and NDA
Michelle Harris is happy to sign any Non-Disclosure Agreement. However, you indemnify Michelle Harris against any action whatsoever by you or your client, associated with the accidental disclosure, loss or for any mishap of this information.
You confirm and agree to abide by UK Jurisdiction.
Confirmation of contract
Confirmation of contract a) Copywriting – First payment – A project is confirmed when Michelle Harris receives a confirmation from you whether via e-mail or letter, together with a signed terms and conditions contract and deposit of 50% of total fee. All payments to be via BACS. Cheques are not accepted unless by prior arrangement. Second payment of 25% due when full text is submitted. Final payment of 25% before going live but no later than 4 weeks after submission of text.
- b) For all commissions under £500.00 – full payment is required together with agreement of Terms and Conditions in order to schedule the commission.
- c) If you are contracting with Star Copywriting Limited on behalf of any group of individuals other than yourself, you must confirm (in writing) that you are in a position to enter into a contract on behalf of that group of individuals or company.
- d) Biographies
- i) First payment of 50% deposit of full fee together with agreed terms initiate the contract. Balance of payment to be made monthly and per divisible of appropriate book timescale. The quotation will confirm exact payments and/or arrangement and is to be used in conjunction with the Terms and Conditions.
- ii) For all commercial or sold biographies, Royalties to the value of 20% would be due to Star Copywriting for each book sold both digital and print. Monthly updates of books sold would be sent to Star Copywriting Limited by either the client, publisher or agent, as appropriate with a credit period of no more than 30 days.
- iii) Neither Michelle Harris nor Star Copywriting Limited can ensure a commercial publisher for any biography written.
- iv) If a book were to be developed into any other format (such as a film, TV series) – the same royalty of 20% would apply with 30 day payment period per ii) above.
- v) All information supplied is deemed authentic and true. The client takes full responsibility for the final product with respect to all legalities.
Other people’s content and copyright.
Other people’s content and copyright. Michelle Harris will make every effort to ensure that any research or copy sent does not infringe upon the rights of the content owner or writer. However, you indemnify Star Copywriting Limited and Michelle Harris against any action arising, directly or indirectly, as a result of use of this content as reference material.
Your rights regarding the copy
Upon your authorisation for Michelle Harris to write copy for you, the commission will be sold on the basis for the purpose of any commission for you, and on an exclusive basis only. No work whether marketing strategy or copywriting, can in part or in full, may be given to any third party, individual, company or practice. No work can be resold or given as a gift.
Draft copy not written by Michelle Harris
If Michelle Harris is asked to view a copy of any draft written by you or anybody else, you must confirm you are the copyright holder. Or failing that, you have the right to use the material from the copyright holder and that you have authority to allow all, or part, of the material to be part of the new work to be written by Michelle Harris. You will indemnify Michelle Harris against any potential claim or suggestion that her work breaches an existing copyright. If there are similarities between the aforementioned draft and subsequent copy, her copy will be considered as an original and under the terms of this contract.
If copy is not used
You agree to indemnify Michelle Harris against any claim by any client for compensation or damages brought about as a direct or indirect consequence of the use, or inability or unwillingness to use, the material which is written for you.
All efforts are made to avoid any mistakes, whether spelling, grammatical or reference, however should this unfortunate situation occur, you absolve Star Copywriting Limited of all responsibility for any costs incurred as a result of any published errors whether as hardcopy or online.
Submission of Draft
Once a draft has been submitted, you commit to revert back with comments and amendments within three weeks. If there is a delay beyond this time, full payment of quoted work is required in order to complete the assignment and per the original quotation.
The terms of the Proposal shall be effective for 30 days after presentation to you. In the event the Proposal is not executed by you, within the time identified, the Proposal, together with any quotations, related terms and conditions and deliverables may be subject to amendment, change or substitution.
Michelle Harris tries hard to ensure that deadlines are met. However if there is a possibility or delay, Michelle Harris will discuss with you as soon as she is aware of the problem
Work and fee
All commissions and any services authorised are covered by these terms and conditions. For any advertorials,there will need to be consideration for the Advertising Standards Authority (clause 23.1) regarding advertising. Please note that VAT is not applicable at this stage. For Star Copywriting’s marketing purpose, any written material can be referred to and promoted wherever appropriate and subsequent to your written permission. Your confirmation letter will outline commission criteria. Most work (unless otherwise advised) includes 1 x draft, 2 x amendments (x3 for biographies), 1 x final. Any more work will incur an extra fee to be agreed beforehand.
A project is deemed complete and satisfactory if you do not respond to Michelle Harris within one month from submission of first draft or any subsequent amendments or revisions.
- a) Star Copywriting Limited reserve the right to invoice with a payable period of 7 days. Star Copywriting Limited understands and will exercise any statutory right to claim interest and compensation for debt recover costs under the late payment legislation. If Star Copywriting Limited is not paid according to agreed credit terms, interest will be charged daily at 8% over the Bank of England base rate along with EU late payment charges. Payments will be credited first to late payment charges and next to the unpaid balance. You shall be responsible for all collection or legal fees necessitated by late or default in payment. Michelle Harris of Star Copywriting Limited reserves the right to withhold delivery and any transfer of ownership of any current work if accounts are not current or overdue invoices are not paid in full. All grants of any license or intellectual property rights under this Agreement are conditioned upon receipt of payment in full which shall be inclusive of any and all outstanding additional costs, expenses, charges or the costs of changes.
- b) In the event of premature termination (if the work has started) of the project by you and for any reason whatsoever, the full fee will be immediately due for payment. This revised scenario terminates any outstanding credit arrangements. However and with respect to UK Jurisdiction, your statutory rights will not be affected.